Mr. M.P. Boyd built the Dixie Theatre in 1913 on the east side of the square as a silent movie house with an all-purpose stage. After burning in 1924, the building was soon renovated and remained in business until 1938 when the theatre was moved to the present site. Renovated several times over the years (the last time in 1978), the Dixie finally closed its doors to patrons in 1985.

The Marshall County Community Theatre organization purchased the old Dixie Theatre in 1994, and after extensive renovations funded from generous community contributions and grants, the seating was reduced from 750 to 299 to make room for an enlarged stage, dressing rooms, and sound and lighting booths. The public got its first look at the changes at the opening show, Broadway at the Dixie, on July 14, 1995. In 2002, with the generous donations of Robert Walker and Don Wright, work began on the Walker-Wright Wing, an annex at the end of the alley, which added space for performers, props, and sets. The Dixie has hosted recitals, charity benefits, club events, beauty pageants, talent shows, business meetings, school inservice, and other non-profit events as well as notable performers from outside the county including the Nashville Symphony to supplement its productions.

Reprinted from